Cyber Essentials Voucher Scheme
Cyber attacks are a real and growing risk to your business. The security of your business information is vital, so now’s the time to take steps to protect yourself, as no organisation, however large or small, is immune.
To assist SMEs in Scotland protect themselves from cyber attacks, the Scottish Government launched the Cyber Essentials voucher certification scheme which is administered by Scottish Enterprise.
Cyber Essentials aims to help organisations implement basic levels of protection against cyber attack, demonstrating to their customers that they take cyber security seriously. The scheme is available at two levels:
- Cyber Essentials – an independently verified self assessment. Organisations assess themselves against five basic security controls and a qualified assessor verifies the information provided.
- Cyber Essentials PLUS – a higher level of assurance. A qualified and independent assessor examines the same five controls, testing that they work in practice by simulating basic hacking and phishing attacks.
The five basic controls within Cyber Essentials were chosen because, when properly implemented, they will help to protect against unskilled internet-based attackers using commodity capabilities – which are freely available on the internet.
Since 1 October 2014, Cyber Essentials became a minimum requirement for bidding for some government contracts.
The Cyber Essentials Voucher will give you an opportunity to choose a supplier who will work with you to gain certification and guide you through the process every step of the way. Funding is currently available of up to £1,000 if you meet the following criteria:
- Be an SME (an enterprise which employs fewer than 250 persons)
- Have a physical base in Scotland
- Be able to provide an SC(Scottish) Company Registration Number
- Be connected to the internet / have an IT system infrastructure
- Be trading (i.e. company status is not dissolved, in liquidation, dormant, etc)
Cyber Essentials Voucher Application
We would advise that you follow this link to read the information provided by Scottish Enterprise.
At the bottom of the page you’ll see a section where you can register your interest for further details about the Cyber Essentials Voucher Scheme and an application form.
Please note the voucher only pays out once the project is complete. You’ll need to produce the following evidence in support of your claim for payment request:
- Cyber Essentials Accreditation – Certificate of Compliance
- Copy of the supplier’s invoice
- Proof of payment to your supplier
- Project completion report
- Completed feedback sheet
Information on suppliers can be found on the Scottish Business Resilience Centre Website.
Lugo have been working with Aggress Ltd (t/a CyberAggress), based in Prestwick, for the past two years. Those of you who attended our GDPR Roadshow in November/December 2017 would have seen David from CyberAggress, who we’d be happy to work with to support your Cyber Essentials certification.
If you are under a monthly user support contract with Lugo, enhancements needed to comply with Cyber Essentials, such as changes to user settings and applying Office365 policies, for example, will be included under your current monthly contract at no additional cost. Any supplementary work, such as time to help you complete the forms, general Cyber Essentials advice, will be charged at £70 per hour + VAT. For most of our existing customers, we would envisage the £1,000 voucher would cover the entire cost of your Cyber Essentials certification.
If you’re not an existing Lugo customer, we’d love to have the opportunity to work with you to support you through your Cyber Essentials Accreditation. Please click here to get in touch and we’ll be able to provide advice on your next steps.
Please email Liz (email@example.com) if you have any questions, or to advise Lugo that you have applied for the voucher. We would be delighted to hear that you are taking up this offer to make your business more resilient. We look forward to working with you. Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require clarification on any aspect of Cyber Essentials.